A Weblog Dedicated to the Discussion of the Christian Faith and 21st Century Life

A Weblog Dedicated to the Discussion of the Christian Faith and 21st Century Life
___
I do not seek to understand that I may believe, but I believe in order to understand. For this also I believe, –that unless I believed, I should not understand.-- St. Anselm of Canterbury (1033-1109)

Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Methodists Have a High Approval Rating-- Is this Good News?

As reported by United Methodist Communications, a recent Gallup Poll of Americans reveals that the culture largely views Methodism in a positive way. Forty-nine percent of those surveyed said that they viewed Methodism positively, forty-seven percent were neutral, and only four percent responded negatively.

At first glance, such a poll might hearten those of us with a Methodist bent, but I wonder if this is actually good news when it comes to our identity and mission as Methodists? It would be interesting to inquire further of those who view us so positively, why, in fact they do so. Is it because we have done and are doing much good in this society and around the world, which is, of course, quite true? Or could it be that we Methodists are becoming more and more of a culture church all the time, and because of that, we are losing the radical edge of the gospel? In other words, are we viewed so positively because we have become domesticated?

John Wesley expressed the very same concern in reference to Methodism's acceptance by the wider society: “I am not afraid that the people called Methodists should ever cease to exist either in Europe or America. But I am afraid lest they should only exist as a dead sect, having the form of religion without the power. And this undoubtedly will be the case unless they hold fast both the doctrine, spirit, and discipline with which they first set out" ("Thoughts on Methodism"). Wesley wrote this in 1786 as he looked back on the Methodist revival. Wesley was concerned that the movement would become domesticated and, therefore, irrelevant as an alternative Christian witness.

I am not suggesting that we Methodists should look for ways to be intentionally offensive; after all, St. Paul reminds us that the gospel in and of itself is foolishness and a stumbling block for many (1 Corinthians 1:23). Bishop William Willimon wrote in one of his many books (I cannot remember which one), that during his ministry, Jesus repelled more people than he attracted. I have expressed the view in previous posts, that while we United Methodists like to think of ourselves as practitioners of a radical gospel, in many ways we are in reality just status quo. Many of our Social Principles embody, not the Sermon on the Mount, but rather regurgitate with a little religious language sprinkled in, the political platform of the DNC. (By the way, they would be just as status quo if they resembled the political platform of the RNC.) I do not want to suggest that we Methodists have no radical Christian edge, but rather that, at the end of the day, we are more domesticated than we want to admit. We like being liked.

Many years ago, Stanley Hauerwas and William Willimon wrote a book entitled, Resident Aliens: Life in the Christian Colony, in which they called the church to embody the alternative to the world that Jesus meant for it to be. In responding as to why the book struck such a chord with so many, they wrote that after the UCC, "[o]ur fellow Methodists probably are next in line among those who dislike the book. Methodism, after all, has been the great Protestant religion of America and, having been once established, they certainly do not want to be marginalized people. To a denomination which likes to think that it is still the establishment, still sending more people to Congress every year than any other Protestant denomination, our call for the church to recover its alien status sounds like very bad news indeed" (In Good Company: The Church as Polis, 60).

I must also confess that I have wondered about my own domesticated status on more than a few occasions in reference to my own ministry. When I receive praise and recognition for my involvement in the community, is it because I have offered the gospel in a way that attracts people to Jesus, or have I just been a prop for the culture and done my part to fulfill Ben Franklin's understanding of the church's purpose as the place that produces virtuous citizens, or as I like to think of it, loyal lackeys for the state? After all, I like to be liked.

I have heard Stanley Hauerwas say time and time again, in his own uniquely Hauerwasian way, that Methodists have only two essential convictions: God is nice; and because God is nice, Methodists should be nice too. His expression may be somewhat exaggerated, but I think he is cutting to the heart of Methodism's culture church dilemma. We like to be liked; and what better way to make sure we are liked, than to be nice, which can unfortunately mean, compromising the hard edge of the gospel.

Now, to be sure, Methodism is not the only church that faces the culture church conundrum. This has been one of the great struggles for the church universal since the time of Constantine. Nevertheless, as a Methodist, I must be concerned with my own church tradition; I will let persons from other denominations deal with their culture church struggles.

I would very much like to hear from others in the Methoblogosphere on this one. Please feel free to post your comments.

9 comments:

Matt said...

Great thoughts Allan - thanks for sharing them. For some reason this reminds me of Douglas Adams' Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy in which the galactic travel guide's entry for earth read, "mostly harmless."

This seems to be quite a distance from something like 1 Peter 4:14a, "If you are reviled for the name of Christ, you are blessed..."

The problem for me with Hauerwas is that he always seems to come back to pacifism as the singular thing that will "lower our approval raitings," while making us more faithful. Maybe he'd also add skipping 4th of July and taking down the flags in the sanctuary.

I'm not saying those particular issues are necessarily wrong. I'm just curious about whether or not there are other things that the gospel calls for which would increase our faithfulness while at the same time lowering our popularity. What would those be?

Unknown said...

Nice write-up.

It strikes me, though, that Jesus never had a very high approval rating.

How much can we really stand for if everyone's OK with it?

-Brad
www.SimplyOneLife.org

Kevin Baker said...

Luke 6:26 comes to mind.

Ted M. Gossard said...

Yes, Allan. Though I'm not UMC I too am concerned about this.

I think while Jesus probably can commend this and that in society, the heart of it must be overturned to be in line and harmony with God's kingdom come in Jesus.

If we don't have something of a critique for all of society in just the way we live, as well as what we proclaim in Jesus, then something is surely amiss. How can we feel at home in this world, a world that Scripture says at its heart is at enmity with God (James)?

And yet we live as those who would do good works and do good to all people, as well. So both are important as the light of the world which we are, surely.

Anonymous said...

Though I'm a United Methodist - and enjoy Hauerwas - I also find value in the reformed perspective on the orders of creation. I am no convinced that individuality and church are the only arenas to which God's agenda pertains.

When we say we're not content to let the world just go to hell, what world are we talking about? The individuals around us? The natural world? The family? Our neighborhoods? Our cities? Our nations? Sometimes when I read Hauerwas and friends I think he's arguing that Christians qua Christians have no interest in any of these entities or forms of sociality.

That said, I do agree that a life of primary allegiance to Jesus will (apparently) necessarily be offensive to most if not all forms of human sociality (and I would include church, at least as I've experienced many times, among those organizations offended). This does not mean, however, that every single thing we do will be offensive or that we ought to aim to be offensive. I DON'T go with those who completely universalize Total Depravity - I don't say that every single thing humans ever do, either individually or corporately is only evil and against God. Occasionally people, families, communities, nations do something that pleases God.

I could go further, but that's a start.

Craig L. Adams said...

The Scripture that has really been on my mind and heart lately is Acts 2:42-47. There is so much in this portrait of the Church we ought to regain. And, I particularly think of this last part of it:

"They broke bread in their homes and ate together with glad and sincere hearts, praising God and enjoying the favor of all the people. And the Lord added to their number daily those who were being saved."

Having favor with the people and with God would be a wonderful thing for the community of faith to regain. And, once upon a time the Church actually had both.

But, even if this were to be interpreted as a "neutral" rating I don't see how that necessarily translates into "being lukewarm" or "lacking saltiness." It's a matter of public perception. I do think that a generally positive public perception is a good thing (as suggested by the book of Acts, above).

Nonetheless, it is frustratingly difficult to interpret what these results mean, beyond a "generally positive" rating. Why? What's good about us? What's not? The article itself tells us nothing about that.

Allan R. Bevere said...

I appreciate everyone's comments thus far. Please feel free to continue to post them.

Anonymous said...

You asked for it.

I think it is essential for Methodists to have a high approval rating. The question is, From whom?

Though I like having people like me - having people approve of me - even more I want God to approve of me. I want to stand before God and hear, "Well done, good and faithful servant, enter into the joy of your Lord." I want my people to hear that as well.

Paul tells the Colossians that his calling is to present them perfect in Christ. Perfect by whose standards? Community polls? The Chamber of Commerce? Influential pundits? I can't help but think that the only relevant standards are Jesus'.

When I read the NT I get the idea that some of Jesus' standards are in conflict - sometimes antithetical - to other folk's standards. It looks like things haven't changed much, even if we do have a 'Christian country' now. So yes, like Wesley, I start worrying when too many people think I'm doing everything right.

Michael said...

Allan,

I was thinking about this very thing today as I was mowing the lawn. It seems to me that we give up much of our own sense of identity as Christians, as disciples of Christ, when we actually strive to be "popular" much like some high school kid who wants to fit in and will do almost anything to gain acceptance. However, if we are generally viewed as "positive", it could well mean that Methodism has earned a certain measure of respect, however grudgingly.

That's the thing with polls, though. Marking "favorable" or "somewhat favorable" lacks a context by which to measure the intent of the language used.